Do you want to build custom blocks but find the coding from scratch development learning curve is holding you back? Or maybe you have tried solutions but found they were not built for Gutenberg and had too many hurdles?
Good news! Today we are announcing Genesis Custom Blocks. A solution built from the ground up as Gutenberg first. It is lightweight and optimized for performance. Not only that, as with the rest of our products, it is geared perfectly for keeping you on top of the future roadmap of WordPress and the block editor.
The best part is, you can get started absolutely free!
Genesis Custom Blocks is a powerful plugin that enables you to create all the blocks you want, tailored to your specific needs. While it is not code-free, it does take away the heavy-lifting for you through a simple in-admin interface plus a simple templating system.
For a quick look at how it all works, check out the demonstration video.
For complete documentation on how to work with the plugin, follow this link.
Genesis Custom Blocks is available today as a free plugin on WordPress.org. You can install and activate it like you would any other plugin in your WordPress admin.
Genesis Custom Blocks Features
Let’s take a look at what the plugin includes:
- A WP admin interface for registering, configuring, and adding input fields for custom blocks
- Add a new block just like you would add a new post
- A library of simple PHP functions that let you use familiar WordPress development practices
- Flexible templating options let you optimize how you manage template files, including intuitive folder structure options as well as abstraction to a stand alone plugin.
- Conditional file loading on the frontend means only the block template files needed are loaded by the browser, massively improving frontend performance.
- Developers can integrate with anything, as the developer experience leverages the well-rounded and widely adopted traditional developer experience of WordPress.
Do I need to be running Genesis or Genesis Child Themes?
Genesis Custom Blocks is 100% theme-agnostic. As long as the WordPress site has the block editor (Gutenberg) enabled, you will be able to use Genesis Custom Blocks to build custom blocks for your site.
Wait, this is all free?
As we covered, you can do a lot with the free plugin. However, if you do want to go further and access the advanced features of Genesis Custom Blocks, you can upgrade to a Pro subscription with Genesis. Learn more about that here.